The role of Lead VFX Artist is to lead and motivate a team of talented VFX Artists in delivering astounding work and AAA quality assets. This position entails a great deal of responsibility and opportunity to drive further the development of strong team and for which your artistic, technical and managerial expertise are with great importance. As a Lead VFX Artist your job is to plan, organize, follow-up and evaluate your team´s work in order to ensure that they meet the production objectives in terms of time and quality. In this role you are required to anticipate and find solutions on team and production level in order to deliver stunning visual experience of the project.
The ideal candidate in this role is an experienced VFX Artist in games, with a balance of technical problem solving, artistic skills and a passion for all manner of VFX; from gameplay and combat driven systems, to environmental atmospherics and destruction.
In this role you will supervise the design and implementation processes for high-quality AAA VFX, making sure these support gameplay and art direction. Create and optimize VFX to run within performance limitations. Work closely with art, animation, design, and programming team to anticipate and solve challenges within given constraints and visual requirements. Translate references, concept art, game design briefs, and verbal directions into prototypes.
We are looking for a Senior to Lead professional VFX experience in the game industry and you must have a strong reel/portfolio showing executed real-time FX work with a minimum of one shipped AAA game.
• Knowledge of Unity and Unreal Particle System.
• Experience with the CASCADE interface in Unreal.
• Examples of Flipbooks VFX in your portfolio and stylised effects.
• Experience of using industry-standard content creation software (e.g. Maya, 3ds Max, Photoshop, Substance) to create assets to use in-engine.
• Strong understanding of Real-time VFX techniques and pipeline.
• Experience with various supplemental 3D and VFX authoring packages (Maya, Houdini, Substance, etc.)
• Portfolio that demonstrates a breadth of both technical and artistic execution of real-time VFX.
• Deep understanding optimizing VFX for console and mobile game development.
• Experience with shader creation inside Unity and Unreal.
• Knowledge of game production pipeline and life cycle.
• A critical eye for the timing, animation, and motion of real-world objects and visual VFX.
• Excellent Leadership Skills, great verbal and written communication.
• Have experience teaching and mentoring new artists.
• Excellent English skills
Nice to have:
• Experience in writing scripts/plugins in MEL, C/C++ for Maya would be a plus.
• Abilities in secondary areas such as modelling, skinning, animation, or lighting is a plus.